OPEN: Mon-Fri,9:00-18:00 Sat,Holidays,10:00-18:00  CLOSED: Sun
HOME >    USEFUL INFORMATION >    Electricity in Japan

 Electricity in Japan

Japanese Voltage is 100v, and Frequency is 50 and 60hz. You need a step-down transformer or step-up transformer to use appliances from your country.


Voltage in Japan is 100 Volt. Appliances brought from Europe, Australia and other Asian countries where voltage is 220 to 240V are not able to use except for lamps. Some items can be used with step-down transformer from 240V to 100V). Some of the low energy consuming appliances brought from the US (120V) can be used without transformers, though desk top computers and other sensitive items might be affected. High powered 120V appliances like microwave ovens, vacuum cleaners, dryers may not work properly in Japan. You can use such products with step-up transformers (from 100v to 120V) transformers are available at the duty free electrical stores and Tokyo Lease Corporation. World Voltage


Japanese electrical plug have two pins similar to the US, but usually does not have electrode.
One of the US plug pins is large and the others are small, and Japanese two pins are the same size as smaller US plug pins. However, many of the Japanese homes have wall outlet that the US plugs can fit. You may also find extension cords for the US plugs in major Japanese electrical stores. The combination of plug adapter, and converters may enable the usage of the appliances from other countries, except appliances with big power or subject to sensible mechanism.

A Japanese electrical plug


The frequency of electric current is 50 Hertz in Eastern Japan (Tokyo, Yokohama and other northern area), 60 Hertz in Western Japan (Nagoya, Osaka, Kyoto, Hiroshima and other southern area) the US is 60HZ and Europe is 50HZ. If you are going to live in the Middle of Japan (Aichi, Gifu, Mie, Shizuoka, Nagano prefecture), you need to check Japanese local electric shop or power supplier, because the frequency depends on the cities, even in the same prefectures.
Some appliances can be used without adjusting the frequency. However sensitive appliances like microwave, stereo sets, electric pianos, clocks and timers, frequency needs to be adjusted. Electric appliances sold in Japan have frequency switch so that you can use them in both areas. If you are bringing sensitive appliances, be sure to check the frequency. Transformers can change voltages, plug adaptors can fit your appliances to the wall outlet, but changing frequency is almost impossible, or very costly.

Japan electric helz map


There are three main types of voltage converter. Resistor-network converters will usually be advertised as supporting something like 50-1600 Watts. They are light-weight and support high-wattage electrical appliances like hair dryers and irons. However, they can only be used for short periods of time and are not ideal for digital devices.
Transformers will have a much lower maximum Watt rating, usually 50 or 100. Transformers can often be used continuously and provide better electricity for low wattage appliances like battery chargers, radios, laptop computers, cameras, mp3 players and camcorders. However, they are heavy because they contain large iron rods and lots of copper wire.
Some companies sell combination converters that include both a resistor network and a transformer in the same package. This kind of converter will usually come with a switch that switches between the two modes. If you absolutely need both types of converter, then this is the type to buy.


Japanese color system for TV and tuners is NTSC, which is the same as the US and Korea. On the other hand, most of the European countries, Switzerland, Australia adopted PAL. France and Germany are SECAM. Color System

So, adjusting the voltage and plug is not enough to use TV from other countries. You can use TV from the US or other countries from the same color system, together with a Japanese tuner (converter). Tuners may cover Digital Terrestrial Television Broadcasting ("Chideji"), BS (Broadcast Satellite) and CS (Communication Satellite). Some apartments have cable TV outlet to see wide variety of English programs including BBC and CNN. Digital and BS programs are mainly Japanese, while CS has similar English programs as cable TV.

Electricity in Japan | TV and Other Appliances

to top